Monday, March 17, 2014

March 15th Hike; Lesson in Self-Compassion



We decided to alter Saturday and Sundays so different folks could come out. This time Carol Gary, a huge supporter, came out to check it out. And Doug made it out finally since he always play softball on Sundays. Tina, Tim and their two awesome friends Brett and Kristen were super helpful since we had less folks. It was nice that Toqua came out too even though none of the other firefighters could make a Saturday. The Fire Fighters Association also sent a check for $1000 which was incredibly generous! 

We always gather in the parking lot while we are getting ready and inevitably someone always walks by and recognizes us and our cause. Today was no different. We had several folks stop and wish us luck and even one lovely gal who met us and heard the story on the first training hike. Now we see her all the time. I finally just told Leslie to go ahead and just join us. We hope she does. 

Today’s lesson on the trail for me was self-compassion. It was tougher today for me as well as Anthony. For some reason even though we did the same hike and the same miles I huffed and puffed up the last part of the switchbacks. I was dizzy and didn’t feel very good when I hit the top. I had my usual orange slices to hand out for everyone but I had to sit down. My first reaction was to really beat myself up as to why I was having such a tough day, how am I going to keep up in the canyon, etc… But I’ve been getting so much better at self-compassion. It’s a tough one for me. I’ve always been very driven and I usually never get where I’m going without a good lashing. Now I’m getting to a place in my life where that just doesn’t work anymore. I can’t tolerate me being mean to me anymore. Getting through this journey with my boys, I have learned that I can share all the great philosophy I want, but my boys seeing me treat myself with kindness, compassion and forgiveness will teach them how to treat themselves and others. So I just accepted where I was today and moved through it nice and quickly and had an awesome hike down. 

Anthony was also tired today. Very grumpy teen ‘tude! Deeders brought sheepskin padding for the shoulder straps the guys made him so he was more comfortable and Dad and Deeders bought him his own camelback that goes around his waist. We had to get him up to stretch three times as opposed to the usual one. After the hike, he requested I stretch him out really well and give him motrin. That’s a first. It was a beautiful opportunity to see that everyone on the trail, no matter the level of fitness or reason for being there always puts Anthony first. Now we just have to get AC to request Tim to slow down. Not for Anthony (he’s probably telling him to go faster) but for the rest of us! He and Tina are determined to get us all into Canyon shape. Even though we have two amazing EMT’s on the trip with us for Anthony, I think we all are secretly a little comforted. 

Next week we will start to work on logistics. We have so much to figure out! Thank goodness we have a ton of talent in almost every area imaginable as well as a group of people that really understand what it means to truly be part of a team.

No comments:

Post a Comment