Friday, November 14, 2014

Being Awake..... the night before.

Time to rock and roll!!!!! Emails out to the team. Check. 15 PB & J’s made. Check. Bags packed and gear organized. 20 oranges sliced and frozen, maps printed, contact lists sent out. Check. Check. Clothes laid out so we can dress and jump in the car while it’s still dark.

We love this!

The family’s eating carbs and chatting it up about all the logistics. Anthony is too excited to go to bed early but has to. Tomorrow will be just under 20 miles in hopefully less than 10 hours. I’m taking my therapeutic dose of motrin. Chris and DeeDee fixed up his chair. Love and joy fills the air tonight.

Once again, just like the canyon, what comes to mind is being present. Taking in every minute…. this is what it’s all about.
Life is precarious for everyone. We have to be vigilant and open to what it’s trying to tell us.

Many of the parents in our community live with one foot in their son’s grave. Understandably so, I have too. But Anthony has taught me that if I am living in the past pain of the diagnosis or the loss of my hopes and dreams of the way I thought it should go, or I’m living in fear of the future and what can happen next, then I’m NOT in reality.

And if I’m not in the reality of the present…..I might just miss the damn whole point.

Being awake is one of the greatest things I have gotten from this unexpected path. I can’t wait to see what tomorrow will bring. Whatever it is…. I will be there. And better yet, I will be surrounded by lots of folks I adore who will be sharing those very same moments...feeling every step of the way.

1 comment: