Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Day 2 in the Canyon…. May 4th, 2014

I hardly slept again last night. I hooked up Anthony’s Bipap machine since he had showed signs of exhaustion on the way down. I slept really hard for half the night and then woke up again. He was so tired he didn’t move all night or try to take his mask off. I watched the numbers in fascination as he went into a deep rem. I could tell because the numbers of breaths he took went from 19 to 11 and I saw the machine kick in and bring him back up. He woke up at 5am smiling and staring at me. He slid the mask up, looked over at me and said, “Mom, I’m ready to get up, I feel great!”

We had to make breakfast by 6:30 so I got up and started packing up. Dee Dee and I needed to separate the gear and pack what was going up to Indian Gardens with us and what was going on the mules tomorrow from Phantom Ranch to the Rim. Last night, on one of our treks around camp getting organized we ran into Darrell and the Firefighters and mentioned that we were overwhelmed trying to figure out how to get the gear into packs for Indian Gardens. Well, with these guys…if you even mention a need, they are five steps ahead of us making it happen. They had to have been way more tired than we were after doing all we had done AND carrying Anthony, but sure enough there were all 5 backpacks packed with all the gear, ready to go! This is how it went. Every time there was the slightest dilemma, it was solved instantly by someone (or everyone) immediately stepping up. That’s been one of the greatest parts, all these amazing accomplished experts and not ONE ego anywhere. I have learned so much about team work.

The breakfast in the Catina was amazing. The people that worked there told stories about the canyon while the 40 folks ate family style. Many of them were strangers but they all knew who we were and wished us luck on our journey back up. Back at the campsite, Tony cooked breakfast for all the firefighters. They elected to hike us halfway up today to Indian Gardens (with all that gear) and then hike back down solely based on what was best for Anthony. They only cared about breaking up that long day and not the fact that they would be doing double miles.

The hike up was amazing. I was so worried about getting up the corkscrew especially since I was carrying one of the big packs, but I found strength I had no idea I had and trudged right up it. At one point, Dee Dee and I were hiking ahead and we crossed a stream. I slipped and felt instant relief as I caught myself. A half a second later I realized I had not taken the weight and size of my huge pack into consideration as I did my “graceful” recovery move and the pack went right over my head sending me into the creek face first. I had a huge goose egg instantly form on my leg but couldn’t stop laughing. I knew I was fine and just didn’t care. I dipped my bandana in the freezing creek, tied it to my leg and off we went chuckling.
We made record time to Indian Gardens and I was so happy that we decided to listen to our canyon expert’s advice. Now we had most of the day to relax and enjoy this beautiful camp. Everyone nursed their knees and muscles with ice and set up camp.

Tina, Tim, Greg, and Nate and his wife came down from the top to bring food and make sure we were okay and see if we needed any help getting settled. I think Brett and Kristen were there too but I can’t remember because it seemed they were all with us the whole time. They just kept disappearing and then magically appearing when we needed them. I think it's seriously possible that they may be real actual angels. I later found out Bob, from the Gilbert Fire Department, also had the flu and was on top trying to recover as well. Ranger Jeff showed us around and helped us pick the best camp spots. Since we were only allowed to take up so much space in each location in the canyon, the Firefighters made sure we were all settled and took off back down to Phantom Ranch to stay the night (10 miles for the second day in a row for them).

That afternoon, we all relaxed and hung out. Chris slept on the ground on his sleeping bag while the boys lay with Dee. She read out loud to them from a book titled “Deaths in the Grand Canyon”. We found the book in a little woodshack "library" on the campground. They loved that! Doug and I organized tents and dinner and walked to the creek to soak our feet. Later, Nathan (13), Jeremy’s the documentary producer’s son, took AC in his chair with Oliver and messed around in the woods like boys should. Deer randomly wandered through our camp and I was about as peaceful and happy as a person could be.

That evening after our dinner of tortilla’s, turkey and cheese, we decided to hike out to the point to watch the sunset. I was so tired I secretly didn’t want to go, but Anthony did so I wasn’t going to say no. I’m willing to bet I was not the only one feeling that way. Since we had no carriers, we the family, carried him. It was a much rockier trail than we thought and I felt very exhausted. Ryan the videographer for the documentary went and helped to carry and so did Jackson (Anthony’s caregiver). Dee Dee needed to remind Ranger Jeff that women were just as capable as the men when he got a little nervous from the exposure and began to question her. Jeff was new and hadn’t learned what we all affectionately already knew, don’t mess with the Deeders! She’s a warrior! Beyond grateful she’s on my parenting team.

The point was exquisitely beautiful with an expansive view. I sat AC right on the edge and let him sit there looking down to the Colorado River. Looking out for miles below, I can say this: if there is ever a doubt about the existence of God, go sit there. Things will get clear very quickly. At least they did for me. Very simple …and very clear.

When we got back to camp it was dark. My knee had suddenly tweaked on the way back and I could barely walk. As we got back into camp, we met up with our friend Greg who had “run” back up to the top and back down (15 miles in one day) to bring Chris a much needed beer. I don’t think Chris has ever been so grateful for a cold one. As we got into camp, Doug met us and warned us that a rattlesnake had curled up in our camp and looked as if he had decided to camp there for the evening. Ranger Jeff informed us that he was not allowed to move it since we were actually in the snake’s home. Doug had borrowed some additional tents from the ranger station just in case those who were planning to sleep out under the stars change their mind…and they all did. I was so tired I didn’t even care (and I hate snakes). I zipped up my tent; put on Anthony’s battery operated Bipap, and went to sleep with my throbbing knee and my peaceful soul. I have never felt as safe in the world as I did that night.


No comments:

Post a Comment