Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Day 3 coming out of the Canyon; May 5th, 2014

We woke up early and immediately checked to see if our friend, the rattlesnake was still asleep in our campground. He was….obviously comfortable being with us. Who could blame him? Such a great group of folks! Chris made us all coffee in his one cup backpack maker which luckily took forever. I woke up wanting the day to last forever. We sat and drank coffee as the deer stood right next to us eating and wandering comfortably through our tents. Just peace and love all around…

Around 6:30 we looked over and there were Tina and Tim coming into camp. We knew they were coming down from the top early and we knew they hiked very fast but I was hoping for a later start. It’s been a delicate balance between resting and enjoying the moments and beating the heat to be considerate of the carriers. There were a couple times I had to stand my ground and slow everyone down to take it in. These are very mission driven folks who know how to get the job done. I am so grateful for that but on this particular morning, I really didn’t want to leave!

The crew from the top helped us all pack up our tents and gear. Just like the rest of the trip, I looked around and everything was done already. I was really wishing I could take them all home with me! I love the feel during camping when you all wake up together and gather in the crisp morning air to brush your teeth and wash your face. You can hear the laughter and camaraderie throughout the camp. Such a beautiful sense of community; you can tell I’m a total hippy at heart. I would live this way permanently if I could.

Anthony was excited to get started and so was the crew. We only had 4.6 miles to the top but there would be a 3,000 foot elevation gain. I was so grateful that I listened to Tim and Darrell when they insisted we break the trip up into two days. This is just another example of how we could have never done any of this without working as a team (a concept that I really understood on a deeper level after this trip). Doug left a half hour early so he could take his time in case his knee or foot acted up assuring he didn’t slow everyone down. Another example of how we all thought collectively about the end goal instead of our individual needs. I would miss him being with us but glad he was being safe.

As we left the camp, DeeDee, Oliver and I went ahead a few minutes as well since the team who was carrying was fresh and we knew they would go fast. Yesterday, after getting us up to Indian Garden’s, the firefighters had to hike back down. They would spend the night at the bottom, pack up camp, and get the gear to the mules by the cut off time and then hike up to Indian Gardens to help carry this morning. That would put them at a total of almost 10 miles each day. We planned on leaving a half hour before they were expected to arrive at IG knowing they would catch up since they weren’t carrying Anthony. What I didn’t think of was all the gear we used to camp at Indian Gardens. The team that came from above packed it up into 4 big backpacks and since they did it so efficiently, I forgot to grab a couple of the packs. It’s amazing I could forget such an important detail considering it was on all my 15 different spread sheets. But I was so excited and things looked so neatly tied up at camp, I completely forgot!

The hike up was amazing. I don’t know where the strength came from but I was not tired at all. I powered right up everything chatting it up with Tina as we went. There was so much happiness and energy in the air it was infectious. As people passed me and Tina (who were ahead) going down, I would tell folks to say Hi to Anthony. I thought he would get a kick out of everyone knowing his name. Come to find out, they had all already heard he was in the canyon and were looking forward to meeting him. He was a total celeb already! So every few moments you would hear applause, cheering and yelling from below by every a group who met up with him. It sent a warm rush through my heart and made me well up each time. Oliver was doing a great job staying in the front of the pack. Chris was doing his best to hide the incredible pain he was now in. Tina rubbed some numbing lotion on his knee and we continued to load him up with salt tabs and motrin to get him through it. He refused to complain but I could see the concern on DeeDee’s face as we trekked up to the 3 mile house. He used a camera stand as a hiking stick and hobbled as we went with a huge smile on his face every time he looked at his sons.

By the time we got to the mile and half stop, I was very concerned that the firefighters hadn’t caught up yet. We were getting so close and I didn’t want to come out without them. We ran into Doug’s sister Dani who had hiked down from the top and asked her to continue down to the firefighter’s to tell them we were waiting. We kept making our breaks longer since we were coming out a lot sooner than expected. I know people at the top expected a lot later of a time as well. Dani came back up to us and said they told us to go ahead without them. They told her to tell us “It wasn’t about them”. I disagreed and decided we were definitely waiting. Tim and Tina decided to “run” down (because that’s what our canyon trainers do, run up and down the canyon) to see what was going on. Tim came up and reported that we had accidentally left all the packs for them to carry so it really affected their time up. I felt awful! I couldn’t believe I forgot! No wonder I was going so fast. I was missing the pack I had planned on carrying! Where was my head? Uggh!

In spite of the extra weight, we watched as they all climbed up the steep grade on their 8 or 9th mile with big smiles on their faces as they saw Anthony. I started to apologize to Darrell and he quickly shushed me saying it wasn’t about that. They were here to make it all happen and didn’t care which jobs they got. It’s ridiculous how selfless EVERYONE was on this trip! I have never in my life ever seen anything like it! Anthony’s daring adventure truly highlighted the most beautiful part of humanity at almost every moment of the trip.

Climbing the last mile was extraordinary. My heart pounded, my legs ached and my soul soared. I was speechless yet full of love, hope, humility and gratitude in a way like never before. DeeDee and I held hands as we neared the top. Everyone we passed cheered and stepped out of our way. I could hear various team members’ voices behind me making comments such as “here we go everyone, this is incredible, we love you Anthony, thank you everyone!” At the last tunnel we agreed to stop and let Oliver carry him in. We put AC down and all took a moment to hug each other. Oliver picked him up and began the steps up the last part. We looked up and saw the rim completely lined with signs and cheering folks. I can’t explain the feeling inside. It was so incredible. Not just the adoration for my sons, and the team, but all of it. The whole meaning passed through my heart and mind at that moment. We weren’t doing this just for Anthony.

In DMD, it seems to me that one of the top tough milestones is when your son transitions off his feet. There’s something that happens to all the hope you had when they were young and thought you could beat this thing. You feel robbed, raped almost. Something was just taken from you without your permission; something you spent years fighting and trying to stop. I felt violated and defeated. I think so many other mothers, fathers and siblings feel the same. I can't imagine what the boys feel. Even though they are sad, the boys themselves usually seems to be the bravest and handle it the best. Yet to have this amazing adventure coincide with Anthony going off his feet, was the most incredibly timed gift I could have received. Being able to focus for the last 6 months on what he could do, instead of what he couldn’t, changed this time of our lives forever. As I heard the cheers from the top, I hoped in some small way we changed that for others watching as well. As I have said before, Duchenne can take their bodies against our will, but it CAN NOT have their spirits. And as I felt all the love from everywhere at that moment coming out of the canyon, I was reminded that we do not stand alone. I felt one with so many. It was a moment that was stronger and more powerful than the tough moments in DMD will ever be.

I saw Doug there with a sign and tears in his eyes. He was the first out of the canyon and a reminder of the daily support we are fortunate enough to have. I was filled with gratitude and respect. His mother, Nana, immediately shoved chocolate in my mouth (my favorite). And we all began to hug and cry with everyone. All these folks who had worked tirelessly, carrying Anthony all those miles (including all the months of training), setting up and tearing down camps, donated money, did all this selflessly. And they were thanking US! I had no words for how grateful I was for THEM and here they were thanking us for the gift they received. That was an amazing life lesson to me, one who struggles to share my burdens. Now I understand the truth, I don’t just share the burden when I let someone in to help, I share the gift.

Unbeknownst to me, Ben, Rick and Tony were still climbing up since they stayed behind to make sure everything got on the mules safely. I wish I would have known I would have waited for team as well. But in the same spirit as everyone else, when they got out they made it clear they were just there to serve.

Linda, Carol, Vickie and Mary were in charge of base camp. They had the most scrumptious and amazing lunch ready for us to celebrate. We all sat around the Mather Campground eating and talking and nursing our bodies. Many families who all came up to support us all worked together to take care of everything so we could sit and bask in our accomplishment. The kids ran around the forest having a blast. Greg gave us two signed framed photograph’s (one for both houses). They had everyone’s signatures and well wishes on the matting. My favorite was Oliver who wrote “Anthony, I did not know I could love you even more”. That just killed me.

For hours, we told stories and hobbled around the camp eating, talking and hugging. It was a beautiful day…. A really beautiful day. I have no idea how I will ever be able to thank everyone that made this happen. I can only hope that the love they got from giving filled a part of their heart they will carry with them. I know these “lessons from the trail” I have learned through this journey, have changed me profoundly, forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment