Friday, July 10, 2015

DAY THREE- BIG SUR COASTLINE

What an incredible day! I have done that drive several times but never with the new fresh eyes of my boys. Again, they are such great travelers. Curious, fun and no complaining. None. With occasional stretching AC did great in his chair and just kicked it back every so often to get some additional circulation going. The one thing he didn't have to stretch was the huge smile he had all day. And I only had to ask Oliver twice to put his phone away and join the party but that is only because he has just secured his first official "girlfriend" so apparently there's lots to discuss with her. Not bad though for dragging teenagers from site to sight to see/sea.

We stopped for breakfast at Pismo Beach. The boys were so excited we could drive right on to the beach. There weren’t a bunch of dune buggies like I’ve seen before but there were a few and the boys loved it. AC got his wheelchair stuck but we had the hiking chair so no worries!

After winding up the highway awhile, we stopped to check out the elephant seals which of course was a blast. Huge loud lazy seals laying around everywhere. That was super fun. We saw whales breaching along the Big Sur Coastline and the boys were pretty wowed by the scenery, curvy roads and bridges.

Most of the day, Deedee drove which was great. I can’t help myself but draw the obvious parallel about how nice it is when you can let go enough to sit back and enjoy the ride, something I have gotten so much better at over the years. There is such a sense of relief when you aren’t in charge and don’t have the weight of running the universe on your shoulders. However, I’m not completely Zen in that arena considering I had to hop back behind the wheel when the super curvy turns started. But I’m certainly getting better.

We had a lovely dinner and walk through the town of Carmel. The boys feasted on Salmon and Steak while Dee and I enjoyed some Sea Bass and Lobster Ravioli. Next stop was our cute little accessible cottage in Pacific Grove out on the 17 mile Drive. I can’t even begin to tell you how at peace I am with the sea air, roaring whitecaps and beautiful cypress trees hanging off the edges of the jagged cliffs. It’s absolute heaven and anytime I get the least bit antsy, I am easily reminded we will never have this day back. I continue to approach these days as if I came back in time on purpose to specifically to experience this day exactly this way. And with that, I’ll be sleeping like a baby in the cool ocean breeze in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment