Thursday, July 9, 2015

DAY TWO- CITY OF ANGELS

Today we started off one the PCH HWY and drove from Laguna up to Huntington Beach to see our dear friend Matty. Beautiful breakfast on the beach. He was the awesome dude who took the pictures for us during the Grand Canyon trip. He’s just one of the many people that incredible journey brought into our lives. We had a great breakfast and walked the pier. Lovely.

Next stop was our close friend’s house in West Hills CA for a day with their two boys. The boys are in heaven playing with their buddies. The Ferrante’s have been our friends/family way before we ever had the boys. It felt a bit like coming home.
Today I thought about “real love”. I had a couple moments today where I was completely overwhelmed with real love and friendship.

First off, I wanted to squeeze in a visit with one of my absolute besties, Ashley. As the morning got later and later and we hadn’t left Huntington, the boys got more anxious about getting to their friends. I called her up and explained what was transpiring. Her response without hesitation was “this is your trip, you relax and just do what you want”. And she meant it! She basically said she would love to see us but what was more important was for me to enjoy the trip and not kill myself to make someone else happy. In that moment, my heart felt so full. I thought to myself… that’s love. That’s real friendship. Wanting what’s best for your friend. Real love to me, is wanting someone to be happy and wanting what’s best for them even when it doesn’t include me or my needs.

As I pondered this thought, I looked over at DeeDee. This is where I first learned this. People always wonder how DeeDee and I can be so close given she’s Chris’ (my wasbund) fiancĂ©e. That’s how it started. When Chris and I got divorced, it was hard. The hardest thing ever. But I love Chris. He’s my family. And because I truly love him, I want what’s best for him… she’s best for him. Simple as that. And if I wanted to teach my children to give love as if they will never run out, I had to show them this example. And now I really love her. A lot.

Next we arrived at our friend’s house to find our dear friend “Uncle Drew” had built ramps all throughout his house for AC. Once again, the tears welled and the heart warmed. I think having a child like Anthony forces us to open our hearts and look past our egos. One of the greatest gifts of this deal is that I have learned at the end of the day, we are all the same. We all need the same things (to feel loved, to be heard, to have purpose). And you can give without worrying that you will run out, because the more you give, the more you make. And if think when you operate from that premise, it’s pretty easy to see lots and lots of love all around. It may sound corny, but isn’t it great?

The kids swam and had a blast. We all just hung, laughed and had and warm beautiful evening full of connection. Everyone took turns without a word helping Anthony. Another amazing memorable day on the adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment